Thursday, March 30, 2006

This is One Funny Election
Movie Review: Election

I've revamped the review section of my entries. I felt that the 1 paragraph format was not only lazy on my part, but was also not enough to cover everything about a movie to the extent I wanted to. Introducing the Three C's...

Movie
: Election (1999)
Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Matthew Broderick, Chris Klein and Jessica Campbell.
Directed By: Alexander Payne

The establishment known as student government has always struck me as being completely useless. Student government elections, on the other hand, are actually quite fun to watch. Election is just that---a lot of fun to watch.

Election's plot is pretty simple; it follows the lives of a teacher and three students, and the impact that the Carver High student government election has on their lives. Our central characters include Tracy Flick the perfect student, Paul Metzler the popular football jock, Paul's lesbian sister Tammy, and the role model teacher Jim McAllister.

Why oh why didn't Reese win an Oscar for her performance as the narcissistic Tracy Flick in Election? It's not only better than her depiction of June Carter in Walk the Line, it's sheer brilliance. With that being said, Election is a character driven movie with a cast so fitting, it is to die for. So convincing are the performances in Election I can easily relate each one of the main characters to real people in my high school. I remember clearly the Tracy Flick of my class; the girl that didn't stop working until perfection was achieved. Rich characters and the great performances behind them are key to this film's success as a comedy.

Election will keep you chuckling from start to finish . One element of the film that helps bring emphasis to its satire is the great editing throughout. Use of still frames and overlapping shots where the humor is at its best adds a great deal to the film's overall comedic effect.

Not since American Beauty have I been so impressed by a movie's ability to capture the human psyche. I cannot recommend Election enough. This is a gem right here folks.

Rating: A+---98%

I'm literally torturing myself by not buying a copy of Kingdom Hearts II. I'm waiting for Blockbuster to have it available for rental. My plan is to beat a rental copy of the game in five days so that I can save 45 dollars (its about a 50 hour game so I basically have to play it for 10 hours a day, which is no problem for me really).





0 comments:

 
Easily Entertained © 2008. Design: ~ Sweet Baby Girl